MAFE - Michigan Addiction Fundamentals Examination?????????? - Written (paper) or Computer Based Testing (CBT)
The Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals offers a state-limited examination titled, Michigan Addiction Fundamentals Examination-MAFE. This exam is an entry level examination based on the SAMSHA - Center for Substance Abuse Treatment Technical Assistance Publication, TAP 21 Addiction Counseling Competencies: The Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes of Professional Practice (2002).?? Preparation for the MAFE may benefit any person from entry level to seasoned professional. It is commonly used as an entry level exam for new professionals with limited background in substance-use disorders and addiction. It is sometimes required of newly hired personnel, by some employers or funding sources.
- Passing the MAFE may be used for up to 35 specific contact hours towards most initial certifications or a renewal. This may only be done one time.
- Two hours is allowed to take the exam which consists of 100 multiple choice questions
- The examination was developed by the Southern Coast Addiction Technology Transfer Center and the Florida Certification Board
- The fee to take the examination is $80 and is non-refundable. Cancellations will be not be refunded.
- The examination is currently being offered throughout the year, on request through MCBAP.
- At this time, the only available location to take the MAFE is in the Lansing area, at the MCBAP office ??? the exam is scheduled and administered upon request to MCBAP.?? If necessary, a paper form exam may be substituted for the computer-based exam, at the discretion of MCBAP.
- MAFE Pre-registration forms MUST be mailed or faxed to MCBAP; forms cannot be submitted online. Payment may be made online via the MCBAP website.
Study guides useful for the MAFE may be ordered from the Illinois board, IAODAPCA (General Forms Tab), or from the Florida Certification Board (see their study guide for "Associate" exam).
Passage of the MAFE does not provide a credentialed status. Passage of the MAFE is not required for MCBAP certification applications, but it may be used for education hours credit. Some employers and regional funding sources require passage of the MAFE as a minimum for provider payment.
Click here for MAFE Application